My Recent Pictures

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The Swaminarayan Network

After our return from Tirupati, Jean Marc (the poor guy) slept for more or less two days straight. I used the time to get together our excursion through Tamil Nadu. Not having any travel agent connections, I called up the Swaminarayan Mandir in Chennai to see if they knew of any good cab companies. Lo and behold, it's about a 5 minute walk from where we were staying - Radhika's House! Talk about convenient!

I tell you - far beyond the spiritual benefits, being Swaminarayan sure has its perks. It's such an amazing network of people linked together by their devotion to Lord Swaminarayan and Pramukh Swami Maharaj. Show up at a Swaminarayan Temple, and the locals are ever-ready to help a fellow devotee. I called asking about information for a car-hire - I got an invitation to the Sunday sabha, dinner, prasad, AND a car-hire... arranged for me - and no one asks for a paise. It's really amazing.

Sometimes I wonder why this network doesn't exist in every religious sect or organization. I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that BAPS is still very small in comparison to other religious organizations around the world. But I think that even if BAPS reached every country on the face of the planet, I could still stumble into a BAPS temple and be helped out if I really needed it. I also think it has something to do with the fact that I'm from America and that I'm a youth. I would guess that an Indian wouldn't get the same treatment in India, but I do know that if they show up in the USA, they do get the red-carpet roll-out. But I think it's that tie everyone has to Lord Swaminarayan, and the even closer connection to Pramukh Swami Maharaj really makes it work, I think. Even when the organization grows, it stays small.

I like it that way.

No comments: